Monday, March 21, 2011

The Start of a Dream

Welcome to my little slice of blogging life!

I'm just starting out on this adventure, and I would love to share with you what it's all about!
Right now I am in the process of finishing up my four years of college at Illinois Institute of Technology. That's four years that I've spent undeniably close to downtown Chicago.

Have you ever been to downtown Chicago during winter? I'm not just talking about walking around by the shops. Have you ever seen the large number of homeless men and women who sit bundled in 10 blankets, living on a strip of concrete next to the underground road called Lower Wacker, just trying to stay warm.
My freshman year, the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship on my campus gathered clothing and food donations. We went downtown to hand these items out in person, to those people who sat bundled up with no place to call home. It was a really moving experience.

Over the last year, however, I have come to realize that the homeless of Chicago are not the only people in great need. There are countless men, women and children who hardly have enough money for food, clothing or medical help. I have been inspired by a church called The Storehouse.

The Storehouse is a church currently led by Pastor Mike (Michael Miller), and is working to expand its impact in the community. The outreach of this church not only focuses on spiritual growth, but on physically helping those in need. The Storehouse is currently in the process of moving to a new location in order to better provide for those in need, right where they need it. Through the new building, they will be able to provide professional counseling, a health clinic and pharmacy, and aid from a Social Service agency.

This blog, and my new Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/helpfulblankets) are my little way of bringing attention and help to this church and the community of Chicago. For every item sold from HelpfulBlankets on Etsy, 100% of the profits will be donated to the Storehouse.

This is my crazy adventure, and I hope you will join  me!

-JLR

No comments:

Post a Comment