Saturday, March 26, 2011

Animal Love

My wonderful desert tortoise, Speedy!

Another interesting fact about me: One of my top three favorite animals are turtles! (I include tortoises in this statement for the sake of simplicity)
Case in point: I have two really awesome (and photogenic) desert tortoises as my pets!
[For those who know that desert tortoises are endangered, these tortoises were given freely after being hatched in captivity. The parents were removed from the desert many years before they were considered endangered. It is now illegal both to remove tortoises from their natural habitat and return to the wild tortoises bred in captivity. It is also illegal to sell desert tortoises.]

Knowing my love for tortoises might explain why I love this story so much!

To summarize, a baby hippo in Kenya was almost drowned due to a tsunami. Miraculously, it survived, but sadly lost its mother in the process. Upon returning to land, the baby hippo found a really old tortoise (about 100 years old) and somehow developed a friendship! The tortoise has essentially become the adopted "mother" of the baby hippo!

It's such an adorable story that I could not help but share!
Be sure to check out the link, as there as some incredibly adorable photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment