Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Meandering Thoughts

A few weeks ago I watched a really interesting seminar video about inspiring others simply through the way you present information.
Aside from doing bunches of homework, I have spent these last few weeks mulling over my shop on Etsy.

How am I, merely through words on a page, to present how much I desire to help the homeless, the needy and the struggling citizens of Chicago?
To share about how I spent the last three years working (albeit slowly) on one very warm blanket to give to one of the homeless men and women who depend on blankets to survive the bitter cold winters?
How excited I was to finally have said blanket given away this last Christmas to someone who truly needed it?

And how I realized that I wanted to do more than simply provide some temporary warmth to a person who already had six or seven blankets piled atop them during those crazy winter nights?

I love making blankets: I love crocheting! It is something that brings me great peace and relaxation.
My blankets are a delight to create, and I am even more delighted to combine that with the joy of helping those in need.
Rather than giving my blankets to the needy, however, I am choosing to sell my (beautiful, warm and colorful) hand-made blankets to those who consider themselves even slightly more fortunate than those men and women who cannot always afford to buy themselves a meal, let alone a home. I am choosing to give a portion of the sales to a group that will use the money to help the needy of Chicago.
I found this wonderful CDC (Community Development Corporation) that is starting up in the middle of what I call the struggling Chicago. This CDC, called The Storehouse, wants to provide not only the clothing and warmth that I want to give, but also the wonderful gifts of food and medicine. The new location they are in the process of acquiring will allow them to provide access to a hospital clinic, professional counseling and Social Services.
And beyond all of these wonderful gifts, this CDC is run by a Christian church called the Storehouse, and being led to love the men and women of struggling Chicago with the overwhelming and unabashed love that God freely gives.

I don't think I could express what an amazing influence The Storehouse will be making in Chicago.
But I want to be a part of it.
Will you?

Visit HelpfulBlankets on Etsy and request your favorite colors!
 "Request custom item" is under Shop Info on the left side of the shop.
It is absolutely free to sign up on Etsy, so don't be shy!

No comments:

Post a Comment