Monday, April 4, 2011

Where is Your Moment?

The butterfly counts not months but moments,
and has time enough.  ~Rabindranath Tagore

I grew up in Southern California, only a short jaunt from that wonderful whirlwind called Los Angeles. A bubbly little girl, I made friends with everyone I met. Being shy was a phase saved for much later in life. I never failed to say 'hello,' and always wanted to be a part of the mad rush of movement.

When I was pretty young (my guess is around 5 or 6), I got involved in modeling. It was really fun! I got to try on all sorts of clothes, strut my stuff down a short little runway, and smile for all of those cameras. Sure, I was the spunky little munchkin who looked like she was only 3, but I loved that they loved me!

Not too long after, my agent got me started in acting. Mostly behind-the-scenes stuff, like voice-overs for radio commercials and things like that. I have to say, sometimes the auditions were more fun than actually recording! I guess you could say I have a slight competitive streak...

The biggest thing I remember about my acting days, however, was the first time I got a check in the mail. It wasn't much ... probably around $200. My parents sat me down and showed me my check (with my name on it!) and a magazine I'd never seen before. It was a magazine for a charity organization that worked in third-world countries; if I remember the name, I'll update and let you know! Every page had an adorable picture of what could be given, a price in US dollars, and the number of people that could be helped by one donation. There were wells that could be dug, tiny homes that could be built, animals that could be bought, etc. For less than $50, enough baby chicks could be bought and raised to support almost 20 people, knowing that they would lay eggs and make more chickens once they were old enough.

In a matter of moments, my parents taught me one of the most wonderful lessons some people never have a chance to learn.

It does not matter how much you make, for giving of even the little that you have can be an amazing blessing to others.

What great lessons have your parents taught you? What lessons have you learned from others?

There are so many ways to help others. Sometimes, all you need is a little perspective.

Live in this moment, and live with an abundance of love.

How can you start helping others? What ways are you giving already? Time, money, food ... anything! Please leave your comments below or send me an email; I'd love to hear from you!

Be sure to check out my newest blanket, debuting tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment