Saturday, May 28, 2011

Some Simple Joys

Here is another wonderful fact about me, your amazing blog writer!

I love to read!

Even if you are my friend, you might not know that fact. Sadly, I haven't had time to leisure read in over four years! (okay, so I've shoved a few books in there by speed-reading, but that's not the same!)

For me, reading can be a wonderful way to escape from the world and unwind. There are so many stressful parts of our daily lives that it's hard enough to break away for time to eat, sleep, and maybe even hold a conversation. Sitting down for an hour or more at a time just to read a book? Well, that's just getting ridiculous!

I'm serious! When was the last time you felt like you had a solid hour of your own? To do whatever you might please? To ignore the pressures of life and simply smile?

If it was recent, then I want you to take a moment and reflect on your life. God has truly blessed you with opportunities for a mere hour of peace. I hope in the days to come you remember to be thankful for those!

I am so excited to have more time to myself now that I have graduated from college. Sure, I need to job-search and cook for myself, and I can't be entirely selfish because I have a family to love and cherish (and a wedding to plan!), but I definitely feel a release in pressure and stress.

The type of reading I did in school just wasn't the same as the relaxing leisure reading I remember having during all of my summers leading up to college. To curl up in a chair for hours on end, with the sun streaming in through the window; or laying outside under the shade a tree with a book that transported me to another world! This is the kind of reading I truly love!

If I've enticed you to set aside some of your day for the joy of reading, you should definitely check out this website. If the online format of book-reading isn't your cup of tea (it's not my preference, either) and you have some time to browse around as well as read, I'd encourage you to visit your local library. It's amazing what treasures you can find!

Have a fun day reading!

There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and a tired man who wants to read a book. ~ G.K. Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment