Monday, May 9, 2011

Your Mother is Beautiful

Discovering the essence of beauty...

Happy Mother's Day!
(Yes, I know I'm a little late.)

To all of the mothers out there, thank you for bearing the burden of giving birth to your children. Thank you for the times you have kissed bruised knees, given free hugs, and shown how much you care. Thank you for giving love even when life gets rough.

'Thank you' to my own mother, for the example she has given me of a patient, Godly woman.

Did you miss Mother's Day? Send your mother a loving e-card, and help other mothers around the world at the same time.

There are multitudes of women around the world who lovingly give of themselves to make others' lives more enjoyable. They give until they are spent, and then give some more.
How many of these women, however, truly believe that they are loved?
How easily can that simple thought be forgotten?

For one, the thought of being loved is not simple. For many women, to be loved is to be found beautiful.
I am not talking about physical beauty, although that certainly is a part of the definition.
In general, women desire to be beautiful in a sense that encompasses their entire being. We desire to be seen in that way by everyone around us.
We want to be beautiful.

A few days ago I had a slumber party with a few of my close friends (all women, of course). They are a part of my accountability group, so we talked about everything going on in our lives before diving into a chick flick.

For myself, I am in the process of planning a wedding, and just went through the crazy week called 'finals' where all of my projects for the college semester were due, along with plenty of tests to take. Needless to say, I was a little stressed. I started talking about some of my fears of the future. The pretty common ones that often arise, that is.
Will I be a good wife? What if I become a burden? What if the wedding is a bust and I let everyone down?
Certainly, these questions are pretty ridiculously. My fiance himself (he's so kind!) has already decided I would be a good wife: hello, he asked me to marry him! And he loves me with all that he knows how, so my problems could never outweigh his love. And the wedding could only be a bust if we somehow didn't manage to get married ... since that's the only truly important part of the entire day.

So, why do these thoughts even arise?

One of my lovely friends nailed the problem right on the head by asking a pretty simple question.
Do you think you are beautiful?
To be honest, right then I couldn't really answer. Mostly because the answer is both no and yes at the same time. Often, like many women, I don't consider myself beautiful. However, God has made me beautiful: which plays into why women desire to be found beautiful!
So, I know I'm beautiful, but I just don't see it.
Fortunately, many people around me do see it, and they have been so kind as to tell me so.

However, not every woman is so fortunate to have people around her that mirror her beauty back to her.
Not every woman has someone who stands behind her and tells her the truth: You are beautiful.
Pure and simple.

Yet not simple at the same time.

Take some time today to tell a woman the truth: that she is, and always will be, purely beautiful.
Then watch her face light up with a smile.
It is always amazing how the simplest things can change someones life for the better.

Please be aware that not all women are immediately willing to receive these words. Many people have used such words to abuse the hearts of women, leaving them suspicious of such truth. Be kind in your approach, and do your best to not appear conniving or otherwise distrustful. Thank you for your desire to help the women around you learn to love themselves, and to see their beauty through God's eyes!

Did you share these words with someone today? I would love to read your story! Please leave a comment below or send me an email.

Have a blessed Monday!
I would love to start selling prints of my photos. If you are interested in any that you have seen, or would like to see more, please email me! (You can find my email on my Blogger profile page.)

No comments:

Post a Comment