Monday, January 16, 2012

Volunteering: Day 1!

Today was my very first day (with the exception of training last week) volunteering at the Humane Society of Boulder Valley, located in Boulder, Colorado. It was a lot of fun!

I must be honest, though: it was also quite tiring! Most of my volunteer time is spent taking the dogs outside on trails, to give them a chance to run around and forget about the indoor enclosures they have to stay in while waiting for new homes. My first dog, Bullwinkle, weighed slightly over half of me, and definitely enjoyed using his weight to pull me around! Clapping, calling, sweet-talking, and even treats did little to convince him to walk alongside me (or at least slower!). Needless to say, my hands are quite raw, especially since it was about 35F outside.

Despite the adventure of being pulled across patches of ice (and thankfully not falling!), and nearly being trapped in his enclosure once inside (he was so adamant to come with me that I couldn't open the gate back up! The first time I tried, he found his way past me, and I had to coerce him back in), it was a ton of fun. Really, and truly, it was great spending time with the dogs! I got to take three beautiful dogs outside for some fun: Bullwinkle, Alli and Sadie. Maybe next time I'll be able to snap a photo show you the bundles of joy I get to play with! (So long as they don't cover my camera in fur ... like they did to my clothes)

I am definitely looking forward to helping out again next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment