Monday, January 23, 2012

Volunteering: Day 2!

Today was my second day volunteering at the Humane Society of Boulder Valley, and I am happy to report that most of the ice has melted from the trails that we take the dogs on!

I volunteer once a week for only two hours, but everyone (even the dogs!) are so appreciative of even that little bit of time. It's really a great atmosphere for volunteer work!

This morning I misjudged my timing, so I arrived almost 15 minutes early. That's ok, though! That means I got to hang out with even more adorable dogs! I spent my (just over) two hours with five fun-loving dogs: Snookie, Paulie, Wilson, Snoop and Forest. They are so great!

Wilson is an adorable black lab who just loves to hang out! He was a little bit of a jumper, and was so sad when the walk was over, but he was really well behaved once we got outside on the trail! Paulie looked like a mix between a chihuahua and a pug, and weighed about the same as the leash I had chosen. (I use a leash that can double as a harness to help slow down the pullers!) It was a definite change of pace to have such a little dog to walk!

Snookie was the most adventurous outside -- he sniffed absolutely everything! He also really enjoyed rubbing himself in the dirt. No wonder my pants were dirty when I got home! Forest was fun to walk as well, but mostly because I was amazed at how well he could! Forest only has three legs (he's missing his right front leg), but is just as fun and adventurous (and strong!) as the other dogs. He is also incredibly loving and loves to give kisses!

Snoop couldn't go outside with me, so I just sat with him in his little 'condo' inside. He injured one of his legs, and came to the Humane Society because his owner couldn't afford the vet bills to help him. It was a nice break from being pulled around by a leash. ;-) He enjoyed just sitting on my lap and being petted, and even fell asleep once!

I am definitely tired after two hours of dog-walking, but it is so much fun!

Don't forget that I am giving away four prayer shawls ... first come, first serve! Request one today!

No comments:

Post a Comment