Wednesday, January 9, 2013

More HB Changes

One year ago, almost to the day, I decided to update my HelpfulBlankets donations. I chose to not only change who the donations went to, but also to lower the percentage. It was really hard for me to lower the percentage, as someone who really loves to give, but I hoped it would give me more opportunities to give blankets away to those who needed them (I gave two baby blankets away!) and give me more 'play' money to experiment with different styles of blankets. I've had a lot of fun coming up with some pretty cool designs.

With your help, I was able to donate over $100 to the Boulder Shelter for the Homeless!

cheers! applause! hurrays!

Unfortunately, after going through all my sales, expenses, and donations, my budget analysis of 2012 ended up in the red. Not very far in the red, thankfully, but that is certainly not where I want my business to be, even if it is for the sake of charity.

So, that means more changes are in order!

Unfortunately, I don't really know what kinds of changes would work best for HelpfulBlankets.

Here are a few of my thoughts / ideas. I would love to get your feedback on this stuff!

1) Lower the donation amount to 50% over the cost of materials and shipping.
2) Lower the donation amount to 20% of the total cost (including materials and shipping).
3) Switch to a Buy One, Give One mentality. For every blanket that is bought, one blanket (or possibly, one prayer shawl) will be given to someone in need.
4) Lower the cost of each blanket to 2.5x or 3x the cost of materials and shipping. Any profit will go directly toward the current negative balance. Once I'm no longer in the red, anything over will go towards making blankets and prayers shawls for those in need (both materials and shipping).

What are your thoughts?

I could really use your feedback on this, so please be sure to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment