Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Meditating on Meditation

What is meditation?

From experience, I have found that many older Christians draw back at the mere thought of the word 'meditation'. Some are so against meditation to the point that they might consider you to be sinning if you were to even consider meditating!

Surely, then, there must be something about meditation that is truly outside of God's will.

But, what is meditation?

My old-school print dictionary (yes, I still have one!) defines the word meditate as "to deliberate or consider; to spend quiet time in contemplation." By extension, then, the simple definition of meditation is "spending quite time in contemplation; deliberation or consideration of something."

That's a pretty broad and simple definition, but I can't see anything in there that seem so horrible as to not even consider its use. Not that broadly, at least.

We should also consider that the Bible itself speaks of meditation ... on multiple occasions.
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
  Joshua 1:8
Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.   Psalm 1:1-2
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart by pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.   Psalm 19:14

One generation will commend your words to another; they will tell of your mighty acts. They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty, and I will meditate on your wonderful works.   Psalm 145:4-5
Meditation is referenced several more times throughout the book of Psalms. Clearly, the Bible makes it known that meditation can be something that is pleasing to God.

What is it, then, that makes meditation seem so frightening to some Christians? And how can we be certain, as Christians, to approach meditation in a way that is pleasing to God?

I think the term 'meditation' has become too often associated with Buddhism and other forms of religion. We have become more focused on a definition like: "Meditation is a practice in which an individual trains the mind or induces a mode of consciousness, either to realize some benefit or as an end of itself." That quote is from Wikipedia, which unfortunately has become a 'truth basis' for learning and defining things in our lives. A 'popular' form of meditation involves focusing on your breathing, attempting to empty your mind, and trying to reach some sort of transcendental level or spiritual ecstasy. I don't believe God wants us to 'empty our minds' (we should be instead filling our minds ... with His Words, His Truths, etc), or wants us to simply try to find some sort of other-worldly experience.

Certainly, I don't know everything there is to know about meditation, especially in relation to the ways even other forms of religious meditation have been perverted through our culture, but I do know one thing:

You don't need to 'induce a mode of consciousness' to meditate on the Word of God!

As Christians, I truly believe meditation should be an important part of our spiritual growth. Just like we are told to spend time in prayer and read God's Word, we should also meditate on the God's Word! Using the first (and better, in my opinion) definition I gave of meditation, that means we are called as Christians to spend quite time considering and deliberating over the Bible.

Now, there are a lot of different definitions for these two words, even in my old-school dictionary. The variations on the word consider (consideration, considered, etc) have definitions like
To carefully contemplate
To bear in mind
Given careful thought
To believe
To be respectful of or toward
Taking into account
Where contemplate means "to study or ponder intently; to consider as a possible course of action." And (circling around) one definition of ponder is to meditate, along with consider carefully.

Deliberation has very similar definitions, including "discussion and consideration of all sides of an issue" and "careful consideration," as well as "contemplative" and "intentional."

Looking at all of this broad definitions, I think we can create a pretty good picture of what it means to meditate on the Word of God.
We as Christians are called, through Biblical example, to meditate on the Word of God, as well as the works and character qualities of God. We are to meditate through the use of quiet time, where our thoughts are focused on learning, considering, studying, understanding, and deciding how these things (the Word of God and the works and character qualities of God) are to direct the actions in our lives.
Deliberation and discussion should certainly also be mentioned, as it can be quite difficult to completely understand the Word of God, and God Himself, through your own thoughts and consideration. This may not necessarily be a part of meditation, but I do consider it an important part of growing as a Christian.

What are your thoughts on meditation? Have you always considered it to be something that Christians should shun or avoid? Has this evaluation of the basic definition of meditation, as well as scriptural references, broadened your understanding of meditation in any way? Do you think I have missed an important part of meditation that needs to be addressed?

Personally, I am going to start attempting to meditate. I am sure I will do a very poor job of it at first (especially in allowing myself to be distracted by the 'to do' list I always have to finish...), but I have managed to convince myself that it truly is an important part of my spiritual Walk.

Will you join me in Biblical meditation?

I would love to hear what God teaches you, and how He grows you through this!

No comments:

Post a Comment